Wednesday 2 March 2011

Too Good to be True?

After the disappointment of Friday's 'no-job' news, I spent the weekend trawling through the internet job sites checking for suitable positions and had my list of contacts all ready for Monday morning.

On Monday morning, the phone rang before I had sat down to start working through my list and it was an agency I haven't heard from for 4 months. They had a position nearby, needed an immediate start, doing what I do - was I interested?

Ermmmmm, let me think about it - YES.

So, I had an interview yesterday morning. Again, a 12 weeks temp contract with a possible permanent afterwards. Yeah, we won't be too focused on that. They were seeing 2 of us, 50/50 chance then.

Afterwards I decided to enjoy my day off and take the dogs to Sherwood Forest for a stroll. While I was there my phone rang. It was the agency with good news.

They were offering me a position 4 days a week - so, I still have my 3 day weekends - and want me to start tomorrow.

Further discussion and it turns out they couldn't decide between the 2 of us, so we have both been set on. One will do Mon - Thurs and the other Tues - Fri, I'll find out tomorrow which days I'll work but I'm happy with either. This gives them 5 days cover, holiday cover, illness and they feel there is enough work for 2 as they are coming in to their busy time of year.

They were let down by a previous temp who was taken on the week before for training and then this week didn't go back as she received another job offer that she preferred, so I think there is a bit of hedging their bets with us. They can try us both out to see who they prefer, and if one drops them in it the other can continue - maybe my experiences of the previous week have made me a little cynical - only time will tell.

But, in the meantime I have a job round the corner in nice, modern offices opposite the supermarket and McDonalds. I no longer have a 80 miles round trip each day which more than makes up for the lower hourly rate, especially with fuel prices going up all the time.

So, tomorrow morning sees me playing the role of new girl again - but this time, I'm not alone.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

Well, of COURSE I do &, if anyone thought my previous comment was slightly abrupt, it was because I knew Jacqui had this job THEN but didn't spoil her surprise. It's going to be great being so close to home, let's hope you enjoy it there & that they keep you after the 'probation' period.

Twinkle said...

Someone who comments on your blog was asking about blackout curtains.
The following link to Ebay has some for sale for about £4 They're118 x 130 cms.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Readymade-Blackout-Curtain-Linings-/220746115291?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item33657e68db

Brindy said...

Not abrupt S.Owner - succinct!

Thanks for the tip Twinkle - I believe the blackout curtains have been sorted and are now at the window doing their job.

Spanish Owner said...

It was me who was saying about blackout curtains but I bought longer ones from Dunelm & took them up, Twinkle but thanks anyway.

No, Jacqui, they're waiting for me to hang them still. I've been so cream crackered I've closed my eyes, zonked out immediately & not woken at all.

I'll get round to it.