Sunday 25 September 2011

Celtic Manor Golf Resort

Several years ago, in what feels like another life, I once visited the Celtic Manor Resort in south Wales when I attended an annual conference. In my former life I was involved in Estate Agency. The company was part of a network which covered the whole of England and once a year there was a conference and awards dinner to attend.

As the network grew, the numbers that attended swelled and the venues changed to accomodate the ever increasing numbers.

Our conference was held a few years before the Ryder Cup was played there but it was already showing the top standards of facilities expected for somewhere hosting such a significant competition.

Unfortunately, although my visit was in the middle of my golf playing days, there was no time for me to play there.

Earlier this year I had a golf break deal email drop into my inbox and it was for 2 rounds of golf, an overnight stay and evening meal and breakfast, all for £123. That is a very good deal and I made the mistake of giving the details to Neil. Within the week he had a group of 6 all keen to take advantage of the offer and off they went in late July.

They had a brilliant time, the facilites were first rate and they talked avidly and openly about it in the golf club to enyone and everyone that would listen.

It wasn't long before some that hadn't been decided they really would like to go and a second trip was being planned.

Again, Neil made all the arrangements and got the same deal as before. On the day before they all travelled he reminded them all to take their swimming trunks so that they could make good use of the pool and spa area after golf.

Neil and I always contact each other when travelling just to let the other know we have arrived at our destination safely. Neil rang me from the on-site shop - after reminding the others to pack their swimming things he had prompty forgotten to pack his and was now buying some to ensure privacy was maintained.

On his return I, as always, listened to him enthuse about his 2 days of golf, the fabulous meal they had been served and how much they had all enjoyed their trip.

For no other reason but to show interest and make conversation, but with no real wish to know, I asked how much he'd spent. He made a show of counting through the notes in his wallet before announcing it was in the region of £100.

He'd only been gone 1 night. It's his money to spend as he wishes but it did seem rather a lot. So we did a little reckoning up.

His swimwear was £20.

I knew he'd had a few drinks, probably more than he realised,  and definitely enough to mean he was incapable of sending me a 'Goodnight text' (for which he was adequately chastised the following morning)  and reckoned about £40 would cover drinks, hotel prices being what they are.

But this still left £40 unaccounted for........

Or so I thought.

Neil sheepishly left the room and returned with his golf shoes. I couldn't work out why until he told me that, not only had he gone on a golfing holiday and forgotten his swimwear, he had also gone on a golfing holiday and forgotten to pack his golf shoes and the pair in his hand, which he had to buy in order to play,  represented the missing £40!

So much for a good deal on the golf trip!

But for anyone interested here's the link

http://www.celtic-manor.com/golf.aspx

No comments: