Saturday 28 September 2013

Nostalgia Strikes...

I met a Postman while out with the dogs this morning, to be fair, I met two. They were sharing out the mail from the little red Royal Mail van into their wheeled post carts. I joked with him about them sending the postman out in packs these days and he told me it was progress. Then he made a comment that really struck home about the pace of living these days, he said "it was the new regime and that they don't have time to chat these days." Then he walked briskly away in the opposite direction, pulling his cart full of mail behind him. His pace was just short of a jog.

It seem a long way from the days where the same postman brought the mail and always knew who lived where. It brought to mind a time about 20 years ago when a friend of mine sent me a postcard from her holiday and only addressed to Jacqui & Ben, and although the she got right street name she got the number completely wrong and it would have been delivered around the corner and on the opposite side of the road. But our postman knew my name and knew my dog was called Ben and so delivered it to me. These days that would be considered using too much initiative. 

Today's postman has reminded me how nostagic I get for times now lost to us before the pace of life got so crazy, when people had time to stop and chat, when we knew our neighbours and kids could play outside safely.

Oh, how old do I feel today!

No comments: