Tuesday 22 October 2013

A new writing space...

During the summer I have a lovely writing space in the conservatory looking out into the garden where I can watch the birds, the occasional cat and my two dogs as well as admiring the plants as they change with the passage of time.

Now that autumn is upon us and the nights are both dark and cold I have moved into the main room where we have a very inviting bay window next to a lovely warm radiator.

The downside to this is the TV as I now share the room with my husband and I cannot expect him to sit in silence when I want to write, especially as sometimes I can be sat for several hours, so I needed to find a way of shutting out the sound of the TV.

When I used to study I always had music on in the background and so I went looking for a set of earphones to plug into the laptop, which I found in the box my mobile phone came in, and a CD that I could work to. After rejecting a lot of CDs I came across the sound track to 'Philadelphia', which was a distinct possibility.

Getting myself settled and plugged in, I set it on to continual play, set the volume so that I could no longer hear the football (although I did hear the celebrations when a goal was scored) and I set to tackling another chapter.

A while later Chapter 13 was finished and I realised I had been able to concentrate completely, I have no idea how many times the CD played through but I do know on each occasion I had stopped only for one track, that of Maria Callas' aria. Wow, that's a powerful track.

So, I know I can work in my shared location and just need to find a few more CD's that work for me, but I am sure that through the cold winter months I will be able to sit and tap out the remaining chapters of my book with the only difficulty being the plot and the words and not the working environment.

And at least this way I will feel part of the family while still retaining the process of allocating a time and place to work on my book. And I may even get the odd cuppa brought to me as it will no longer be a case of 'out of sight out of mind'.


No comments: