Sunday 10 November 2013

Exciting Events Planned.

As winter approaches I love to plan trips and visits for the spring, to do things I want to do but haven't got around to doing this year. One of my loves for many years is anything Crocodilian. 

 

I've visited the Alligators in Florida       And almost stepped on an American
Crocodile that was laying like this but 
hidden around the back of a wall.   

I watch any documentary on TV about them and was a huge admirer of Steve Irwin.

A couple of years ago I saw a documentary on an English guy that had his own collection of crocs in enclosures in the back garden of his semi-detached house. The program showed how he followed his dream of opening the first croc Zoo in the UK and the ups and downs he encountered.

When it first opened it was only open to groups, schools and the like but I recently noticed it is now open to the general public and so I can finally go and visit.


http://www.crocodilesoftheworld.co.uk/croc-man/dream.html

Now, I understand the various arguments for keeping animals in zoos, but I do support the need for captive programs for conservation and better understanding of animals to ensure their longevity. These beasts have been around since year dot and the more we understand about them the more likely they will survive in the future. For me, I just love to stand and gaze and take in the incredible strength and, for me, beauty of the beast.

I used to sponsor a Croc at Chester Zoo until they closed their Croc enclosure and so I may find another adoption happening when I visit next year.

Roll on April...





No comments: