Monday 12 November 2012

Does Beetroot Juice hold secret Health Benefits?


I love fresh boiled beetroot. I loved growing my own this year and freezing it, ready sliced, so I can enjoy it throughout the winter.


When I got the results of my months of eating low saturated fat foods in an effort to reduce my bad cholesterol I was set a new challenge after being told that I had low levels of good cholesterol. I needed to know if there were foods I could eat to improve the levels of good cholesterol. As well as finding out I needed to be eating more oily fish I came across articles suggesting that beetroot juice would also help.

Below is an extract from this website: 
http://news24.hubpages.com/hub/beetroot-juice-health-benefits


Health Benefits of Beetroot Juice:

Heart Health:
Beetroot Juice is very good to improve the health of heart as it increases the good cholesterol level and decreases the bad cholesterol level. So, risk of stroke or heart attack is decreased. Also, it contains nitrate which carry out expansion of the blood vessels so more oxygen and blood is supplied to heart. Also, it decreases the risk of several heart diseases. Its nitrate content also helps to reduce blood pressure so it is considered to be the inexpensive and easiest way to combat hypertension.

Now, the problem, of course, is that I have thrown away the water I boiled the beetroot in which, by all accounts, is where the nutrients are once they have been boiled out of the beetroot. I found that local health food shops sold cartons of beetroot juice or I could order it through the internet but then, on my normal weekly shop at the local supermarket I found they also sold bottles of it. 


So, each morning we have a small glass. It's ready mixed with apple juice to take the edge off the taste of straight beetroot juice and it's not as bad as you may expect. So far the only side effect I've read about, although not yet noticed, is that they do warn it may turn your pee pink.
So, whether it's the extra fish I'm eating or the beetroot juice, or a combination of the two, hopefully my next cholesterol test will be more positive.

1 comment:

Jessie H. said...

I like beets and now i know how healthy they are i am going to eat them even more !!! Thank you for info