Saturday 15 June 2013

George & Georgina ... Update

Over the last few weeks I have grown accustomed to watching the Bluetits flying in and out of the bird box. Every breakfast time would see them active and again in the early evening. One always flew to a nearby tree across the garden from the entrance and then flew straight onto the front of the house, the other always flew a bit further along the fence it hangs on and then looped into the house. Late last week I heard a very small, quiet 'cheep' come from inside. I felt sure it had to be a baby, it was such a small sound.

I had put the bird box up without researching where would be the best place for the birds. Once it was up some friends commented that it should have been on the opposite side of the fence, to shield it from the sun. This year we had a long winter and spring started very late, but then we had a few days of very warm sunshine and for a few hours each morning, the bird box was in full sunshine until the passing hours moved the sun behind the house at the back and cast a cooling shadow over the box.

It worried me that any babies may find it too hot, they would be unable to get a drink and be reliant on what ever the parents brought back to the nest. It was too late to move it, I could only keep watching to see what happened.

Last Sunday I realised I hadn't seen either George or Georgina all day, and I wasn't sure whether I had seen them the previous day either. Maybe it was because we have breakfast later at weekends, maybe it was just a timing issue.

Monday morning came and over my bowl of muesli I kept a close watch on the garden, but still no sign. Now, a week on I am convinced they have left the nest. Whether they had laid any eggs, I'm not sure. Whether they managed to hatch any eggs, I'm not sure. I am sure that no babies grew as there was never any signs of the babies ready to fledge. So, tomorrow we will open the box to check. I am prepared for the worst, the possibility that there were babies but they didn't survive. I've checked a number of websites to see how best to check for occupancy and so, fingers crossed we shouldn't disturb any activity if there still is any.

I have found a new spot in the garden to hang it, it will be in the shade all day. It won't be as visible from the house, but that has to be secondary to being the right place for the birds to raise their young. Unfortunately, Bluetits generally only lay once each year, in April-May, so I shall have to wait until next year to see if the new position attracts new occupants.

So, tomorrow the best outcome when we open the box would be to see empty eggshells proving chicks had hatched and fledged, but somehow I think that's unlikely.




No comments: