Tuesday 1 March 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For - You May Just Get It!

I wrote recently about how much I enjoy my 3 day weekends and that I hoped I wouldn't be asked to work Friday's for a few more weeks.

What I hadn't anticipated was that not only would they not be asking me to work Fridays in the near future, suddenly I wasn't needed to work Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays either.

Yes, on Friday I had a call from the agency to say the company I was working at had had a meeting that morning and decided they needed some cost reductions and that I was a 'luxury that they couldn't afford!'

I've basically been too effective and too efficient in sorting out their issues and now they can continue to tick over as they were, without me. They had concerns over how their customer accounts were being collected. They didn't know how to use the software to it's full extent and didn't have any User Guides to help them! They had an idea what it should do but didn't know how to make it do it.

They now have a full set of user Guides, a new written procedure and a set of reports that gives them the information they need to control things better.

And I have a week off while I look for a new assignment.

I must admit it's left me feeling gobsmacked and bewildered, and a little disappointed that they didn't sit down and talk to me about it rather than waiting until I was on my day off and then ringing the agency.

Quite bizarre!

5 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

Well, as one door closes eh........

beverley said...

Unfortuantely Jacqui this is what happens frequently when agency sourced, doesn't make it right but sometimes people find it hard to deliver difficult messages face to face - see it every day in the organisation I work for.
All adds to your CV and experience!
Enjoy your week at home and good luck with the job hunting.

Travel & Dive Girl said...

That stinks! There is such thing as being too good, perhaps they felt threatened.

Twinkle said...

Cheeky so and sos!
Next time it might be best to stick to filing your nails and acting blonde between the odd bits of typing and filing.
No wonder people tend to hide their light under a bushel when firms treat them like that.
Better luck with the next assignment.

Brindy said...

Thanks for all your support folks. A new chapter is about to start.....