Saturday 21 July 2012

Kernel Panic Upload Mode

Until a few weeks ago if anyone had asked me what a kernel was I would have said it's the name for the pieces of corn on a piece of corn on the cob, or the bits of sweetcorn, so imagine my surprise when I started getting a strange message on my mobile phone saying 'kernel panic upload mode'.


Once this message appeared the phone froze and the only way to clear it was to take the battery out and then rebuild the phone. 


I did what I always do and 'Googled' it. Did I find the answer. In a word 'No'.


I now know that a kernel is a computing term. A kernel connects the application software to the hardware of a computer, explanation courtesy of Wikipedia. 


It seems a lot of people are having these kernel panic modes but the suggested solution may as well be written in Chinese. I had no idea what I had done to to get it and no idea what to do to clear it. All I knew was my phone would randomly go into panic mode, which in turn put me in panic mode.


I connected it to my computer to make sure I had the most recent software uploaded. It said I did. I reset everything to factory settings to see if that got rid of it. It didn't.


I called in to my local Orange shop to see if they could help. They couldn't. Not only couldn't they help, they hadn't got a clue what I was talking about, Mr-I've-worked-here-for-four-years-and-never-heard-of-this-problem. He didn't seem too happy when I asked if he would find me someone who had worked there for 5 years to see if they knew what I was talking about. If I wasn't wanting to buy anything and therefore add to his commission for the day, he really didn't want to talk to me.


Once home I rang Orange. I explained my problem and without any hesitation the helpful chap on the other end of the phone said, 'not a problem madam, we'll send you out a new phone, you will have it tomorrow'. 


'Tomorrow is Sunday', I replied. 'Yes, I know. Would you like it delivering between 9-1, 1-6 or 6-10?'


And so, having selected my delivery slot I await a replacement phone tomorrow afternoon which hopefully will be Kernel Panic Mode Upload free.







No comments: