Wednesday 18 July 2012

Me, A Wii and a fat free diet!

Since I was told my cholesterol was too high I have been dedicated to reducing it so they don't have to prescribe statins for me. My daily regime involves reading nutrition labels closely and putting back anything that contains too much saturated fat. I've swapped all white bread, pasta & rice for wholemeal. I eat fruit like it's going out of fashion. Red meat is off the menu (and oh, how I yearn for a nice, rare, juicy steak). I eat oily fish and vegetables stir fried in sunflower oil. 


Every morning the Wii-fit board comes out from under the sideboard and I burn a few calories cycling, running or any other Wii fit game that passes for a work out.

Eating out has become a nightmare. Last week I met a friend for a catch up and a bite to eat. The only thing I could find on the menu (other than salad, which I really do not do as a main meal - lettuce is SUCH a waste of time!) was roast chicken & chips. That's OK, I'll swap the chips for a jacket spud. Sorry, was the reply, we've none left. OK, says I, I'll have a small side salad (tolerable as a side dish). Said meal with side salad arrived, complete with salad dressing already applied that had not been requested.


So, we've been eating in more. Being more inventive with cooking. Bolognese is now made with Quorn and is quite acceptable, served, of course, with wholemeal spaghetti and a sprinkling of grated Edam, which I am allowed in moderation!


I was still buying stuff for hubby to enjoy, chocolate bars, biscuits, crisps etc. and I was even ok with him eating such treats while sitting in the same room as me, although I did think he was pushing my will-power when he actually passed me a chocolate bar to hold while he sorted one of the dogs out. 


I didn't give it so much as a lick!


In an effort to  give me something to have as a treat we searched the internet for fat-free recipes and I now have home made low fat banana cake and low fat chocolate brownies that really fit the bill when the craving occasionally hits - recipe below


Ingredients


Low fat cooking spray
75g (2 3/4oz) self raising flour
50g (1 3/4oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 egg whites
175g (6oz) caster sugar
6 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
2 tbsp sunflour oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
15g (1/2oz) chopped walnuts




Method
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180oc/fan oven 160oc. Spray a 20cm (8 inch) square non stick baking pan with the low fat cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt, stirring together to mix.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, egg whites, sugar, apple sauce, oil and vanilla essence.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until just blended. Take care not to over mix, or the brownies will not rise.
Transfer the cake mixture to the baking pan and sprinkle with the walnuts.
Bake in the centre of the oven until just set- about 25 mins. A toothpick or skewer inserted in the centre of the cake should come out clean.
Cool in the tin for 15 mins, then cut into 12 rectangles.


Ok, there's an egg in there - but I have it as one of my 3 permitted egg yolks per week. I cut it into 16 instead of 12 and even my non-dieting friends enjoy a piece with a cuppa.


And this morning my Wii gave me flowers and fireworks, I have reached my 4 week goal a week early.


So far, so good!

1 comment:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

"Salad is such a waste of time" is never a truer statement. I can eat a HUGE help and then be starving 20 minutes later. Keep up the good work and you WII will continue to reward you...maybe with steak.