Friday 20 July 2012

Wet Hair + Broken Hairdryer = Panic!

I have friends who seem to have a tendency to go though irons at an alarming rate. They seem to have a new one every year and so can get the latest 'features'. I waited years for mine to stop working so I could get a new one.


My problem item is the hairdryer. I have the type of hair that HAS to washed every morning, it does not fair well over night. I'm not one of those lucky ladies that wakes after several hours sleep, shakes their hair and it all falls back into place. I awake after several hours sleep and have hair that looks more like it's been near a hedge backwards than resting peacefully on pillows.


And so, the usual routine this morning of shower, dry hair, put rollers in, have breakfast, take rollers out, leave for work was brought to an abrupt halt when I got as far as shower,........ sweetheart, my hairdryer won't work!


After digging through various cupboards I found my old hairdryer stored in the box of my new hairdryer. I couldn't remember what was wrong with it that had resulted in buying a new one, but it obviously still worked or I would have thrown it away. 


It still had a Spanish plug on it. Fortunately, I knew where the adaptor plugs were and so, panic over, I switched it on.


Then I remembered why I'd bought a new one.


It sounded as if it was going to explode. A noise similar to when you put the stick from an ice-lolly into the spokes of your bicycle wheel. AND, as if that wasn't enough, the heating elements inside glowed redhot - they're not supposed to, are they? This worried me as, many years ago as a child of 7, I was subjected to the bake-a-lite Pifco, popular at the time, turning itself into a flame thrower and while Mum was drying my hair, flames were coming out of the end and narrowly missed setting my hair on fire.

And so, as a stand by incase of emergency, it got me over a serious panic, it's not really for repeated use.


So, time to Google hairdryer reviews and find a new one very, very quick.

No comments: