Saturday 13 October 2012

In the right direction, but more work needed....

I was so sure the results would be good, I'd tried so hard to eat the right things and I'd read on the internet that triglycerides react well to changes in diet.

But they don't react well to blood tests that are not done correctly.

I purposely checked my form to see whether I needed to fast from the night before, if I could only have sips of water for the 10 hours before my test. The box was not ticked, I could have breakfast.

It should have been ticked.

My overall cholesterol is down from 6 to 5.3 a good reduction and almost there, it needs to be below 5, but it's the triglycerides that are the problem, these are the bad cholesterol that were at +3. They have come down to +2.8, not a big move, and there are 2 reasons for this.

Firstly, my good cholesterol is too low and secondly having breakfast and coffee would have affected the results.

So, it's heading in the right direction but I could not help but feel disappointed.

The internet came into action again once I got home. I needed to know how to get my good cholesterol up. Losing weight is good and that is still reducing gradually, without any effort. More exercise helps but I can't do anything about that until I get the all clear from my operation in another 3 weeks. So, we're back to the foods we eat. In cutting out so much fat from my diet, it seems I have cut out too much good fat too. Now I need to re-introduce good fats. More oily fish & avocados are back on the menu. 

I have another blood test in 2 months, and this time the box is ticked, I will fast before the test and hopefully next time the results will be better.

No comments: