Friday 14 December 2012

Latest Cholesterol Check

After the last disappointing cholesterol check I wasn't too hopeful that this would be any better. I hadn't lost much weight and only just started exercising again, so apart from my daily glass of beetroot juice and a little more fish in my diet I couldn't think that my good cholesterol would have increased much. I had continued with a very low saturated fat diet but my operation had certainly interrupted my focus. By having the blood test now it meant regardless of the results I could enjoy Christmas and get back on track in the New Year.

So, I duly went for my routine meeting with the oldies of the surgery and this time I made sure I planned it well. I ate at 6pm the night before the test and nothing to eat after, I had a soft drink during our weekly dancing class and that was all. So, I had done as much as I could when I finally gave my tube of blood.

A week later saw me sitting outside the doctor's room hoping that there was some improvement to be proud of. And then I heard my name called, the results were in.

I had got my overall cholesterol down to 5.5 (originally at 6) but more importantly my tryglycerides had plummeted. These were the bad ones which had previously only moved from +3 to +2.8 and needed to be below +2.3 ...


Fanfare ...


... and the figure now is +1.7

Success.

Even my good cholesterol is normal.

So, I can have an enjoyable Christmas BUT to make sure I don't go back on a diet of pizza & chips, I have booked a follow up blood test in March, just to keep an eye on the levels. My doctor is in agreement to this and I think it will keep me focused on the task.

Oh, I'm a happy lady!  No Statins.

2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

That's GREAT news...especially in time for the holidays! Enjoy!!

Spanish Owner said...

Well done you! Have a very happy Christmas & a much better New Year than 2012.