Monday 22 August 2011

Jabba the Hut

 4 weeks ago I woke one morning and, as I swung my legs out of bed and sat up, this was the image I saw in the wall mirror. Admittedly, I didn’t have my glasses on so my vision was a little unclear but it shocked me.

Jabba-the-Hut-1-749957[1]



Shocked me enough to do something about it.

That evening I decided I had to face the truth. I needed to lose some serious weight. And so finally, my mind set was right.

I set the Wii Fit board up and faced the awful truth. Since Christmas my weight had crept up another 7lbs. It was time to reverse the trend. Obviously, since working full-time and not playing golf, my exercise regime was reduced to an evening walk with the dogs and a longer one at weekends. If the little character on the Wii was to be believed, I had some serious work to do.

So, I have been very strict on what I eat and very focused on my daily exercise and body check. I have used my arthritis as enough of an excuse for long enough but it is possible to exercise if you’re sensible. And finally I am.
And it’s paying off. My first target was to lose 8lbs  – and I achieved that on Friday. It’s very rewarding to have fireworks and messages of congratulations come up on screen. And so, the next 7lb target has been set for the next 4 weeks.

I miss bread. It is my weakness. I only have bread at the weekend now. I have cut out a loaf every week

I now eat lettuce. I’ve never found any enjoyment in eating lettuce. It is a pointless food. It’s a lot of hard work for little reward.

Until you add balsamic vinegar. Suddenly, lettuce becomes not only palatable, but also, dare I say, enjoyable. Why didn’t anyone tell me this before?

So, weekday mornings see me on the Wii fit for my daily weigh-in and fitness check followed by a healthy breakfast of Muesli, fresh fruit & yoghurt. Tuna salad for lunch and something sensible for my evening meal. With my job being so close to home it means I don’t get caught in traffic so can have my meal before 6pm, so no more late night eating. Pizza’s, Burgers and other take-a-ways have been off the menu for me for a month now and I am beginning to crave a Pizza – but that will have to wait.

That will be my reward for reaching my next target.

No comments: