Saturday 22 September 2012

Itchy Stitchy ...

One week on and I'm thankful to be sitting at home, operation over, the fear and anticipation gone, the anxiety of the day behind me and the worry of what would happen gone.

It wasn't good at the time but now, 3 days on, I am surprised how little discomfort I am in, how much I have been able to reduce the painkillers and how much I can actually do. 

I am still sleeping on the sofa as I cannot find a comfortable position in bed, but I can wash & dress myself. I wasn't looking forward to getting my hair washed and dried but today we did that with the help of a pillow between me and the sink.

They said the pain was similar to when you have a tooth out and controllable with over the counter painkillers. After the operation on Wednesday I didn't believe that was possible, but it was. I've had nothing stronger than paracetamols and ibuprofen and have spent the majority of the time since I came home pain-free (although I did have to get up during the first night to take some).

So, they didn't lie to me when they said recovery was quick. I have to be sensible with my left arm and not lift it above my shoulder for 6 weeks yet keep it moving to avoid a frozen shoulder. I have to be ultra-cautious with my wound to keep it clean to minimise any risk of infection as, with the pacing wires going direct into my heart, any infection would be really serious. I had a big shot of antibiotic into the wound before they stitched me up and I've a 5-day course of tablets to take. 

And as I sit here typing this, the biggest issue is the itchiness of the wound, it's healing and driving me mad. 

So much progress in so little time.

I do need to say a massive thank you to all my family and friends who have been so supportive throughout, from the accident, throughout the tests, the diagnosis and finally through the operation and after. It's helped me amazingly to know you were all there for me.

Roll on Wednesday when I can drive again! 


2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

That's great news! I'm happy to hear everything went off without a hitch. As for the itch - try not to think about it. LOL! I know that will be impossible.

Spanish Owner said...

Pleased to hear you're fine, Jacqui.