Saturday 1 September 2012

Echocardiogram Time

A few days after my meeting with the doctor where I was told I would need a pacemaker fitted, I rang the hospital to see things would start to happen. It was difficult enough getting my head around what I had been told, but without any timescale to work to, I was constantly wondering 'what of something happens between now and me getting my pacemaker'. As I had been told it was only happening at night, it meant sleep was very restless, even Neil was telling me he was checking on me 2 or 3 times a night to see that I was ok.

The Cadio-respiratory dept had no record of my form telling them I needed a scan. I rang the following day, which by now meant 5 days had passed, long enough for a piece of paper to reach one side of the hospital in out-patients to the other, even if it was relying on being blown by drafts from opening and closing doors. Claire could tell I was worried and so she took control. 'I'll ring the doctor's secretary to check your notes and then call you back when we know what's happening,' she told me over the phone. I checked she had the right contact number for me and left her to do what she said.

Within half an hour my phone rang. Claire confirmed that the form had gone missing in transit, but that the secretary confirmed I needed the scan and , as it happened, they had a free appointment that afternoon, if it wasn't too short notice.

No, I would be there.

On arrival I was introduced to Tracy, her and Claire will be my aftercare team. Once the procedure is done they will do the follow up appointments to check everything is working ok, and that I am ok. I felt relaxed with them both so this was good news.

Tracy took me through to the treatment room and asked me to undress. The scan is done similar to an ultrasound scan on babies. She applied a cold gel and then ran the machine over my skin. I could see my heart on the monitor and occasionally, I heard the whooshing sound it makes as the blood pumps through. After a few seconds I decided not to look at the monitor as the picture shows lots of marks, little pin-holes and other odd shapes and I thought I would be better not looking as I didn't know whether this was all as it it should be or not. I preferred not to give myself anything else to worry about.

All the time Tracy was taking the scan she was talking to me about what will happen, how I was feeling and about the procedure itself. After it was all done I started to get dressed again while Tracy went to get some booklets on pacemakers, the tests I had done and what they all meant and also the condition that I have. I hadn't been given any information like this before and really only knew what I had been told or seen on the internet. 

I felt so much more settled about the whole situation by the time I left the hospital and felt there should be a Claire or a Tracy on standby when I had come out of my 1st appointment where they told me I needed a pacemaker, I would have slept a lot better over the past few days if I'd had chance to talk things through at the time.

So now, it's more waiting. The scan results will be seen by the Cardiologist and then they will refer me for the procedure. Tracy said it would probably be about 5-6 weeks but that I should ring the secretary next week and she should be able to give me some better idea.

So, time for me to go and read some booklets.

No comments: