Friday 7 September 2012

Transoesophageal echocardiography( TOE Heart Scan)


More grown up stuff:

I have received my form transferring me to the hospital where my pacemaker will be fitted. Ahead of that time I need another scan of my heart, this time from inside my body. This is a very simple explanation of what I have to look forward to next.

Transoesophageal echocardiography:
In this test you swallow a probe that is attached to a thin tube connecting it to the ultrasound machine. This views the heart from within the oesophagus (gullet) which lies just behind the heart. This can give a clearer view of the heart than normal echocardiography. It is done in situations where a very detailed picture is needed.

So, that's a day out for me not to look forward to. I can have sedation (yes, please) although that will mean I am out of action effectively for the whole day (who cares?). So, roll on the 19th. I suppose I have to be positive and be grateful they are being very sure what they are dealing with before they go ahead.

So, I have had my MRSA test to make sure I am clear and not taking anything in to hospital, that was a simple cotton bud swab of my nose and groin area, 2 minutes, no pain - that, I can do.

In the meantime one of my friends has put me in touch with someone who had a defibrillator fitted (similar to a pacemaker, just does a different job) several years ago, and has had a replacement fitted as well. I had a long chat with him last night and asked some very daft questions which he was happy to answer. I'm still feeling relatively calm about things, although I do have the occasional wobble, normally when I'm left on my own for too long. (Yes, I know, don't be left on my own too long!)

Still, at least the sun is shining so the walks to work are enjoyable, talking of which.....

Time to go.

2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Well look at it this way - getting fitted with a pacemaker is much better than open heart surgery. Yes, I'm a glass half full sort of person.

Good luck. You'll do fabulously.

Spanish Owner said...

Not a pleasant time for you, Jacqui, but at least they're able to sort you out. Others are not so fortunate, no consolation, I'm sure.

Chris & I have just spent two nights in Sax/Salinas area, inland from Alicante, with friends who save dogs & foster. They tend to keep a few so now they've NINE assorted dogs, a cat, many chickens & a duck! It was amazing staying with them out in the sticks. The dogs are so funny & adorable.