Saturday 13 November 2010

Just finished my first Kindle book.

This morning I finished my first Kindle book. I started reading Cecelia Ahern when she first wrote P.S. I Love You - and yes, the book is so much better than the film!

Since then, I have bought her follow up books and had them on the bookcase waiting for me to get back into reading mode. Having finally got there, I have now read 'If you could see me now'  'Thanks for the Memories' and 'The Book of Tomorrow' - if you like this type of book, then all are worth a read.

And so, I decided to continue working my way through her books and downloaded the 'Sample' book of 'The Gift'.


This allows you to read the first couple of chapters free, and if you decide you like the book you can buy the full book. If it's not your style, then you've not lost anything except the time taken to read a couple of chapters.

At first reading on the Kindle felt a little odd, although very easy to read and because I have a cover that opens like a book, you can actually hold it as if you had a book in your hand.







Because I had already read the first couple of chapters, I searched for the next chapter and picked up where I had left off, already knowing some of the characters.


Normally, when I read, I like to break off at the end of a chapter - and by flicking forward a few pages, can see how much I have left to read. On the Kindle, I  can do the same by page forwarding and back again. It takes a little longer but achieves the same result. Because you don't have the thickness of a book to be able to tell how far through the book you are, it has a gauge along the bottom of the screen that tells you what percentage of the book you have read, so you still know when you are half way through, or nearing the end.


If I get absorbed into a book, I don't want to put it down and I wondered whether the Kindle would have the same effect. Would I get involved with a book and forget that I was reading an electronic gadget. I was hoping that I would.


Yesterday, I got just over halfway and the story was starting to gain pace.


This morning, I sat down with it again, and a couple of hours later, I finally closed the Kindle cover having finished the book.


Yes, I had become so absorbed in the story I didn't notice that I didn't have a real book. Yes, I had enjoyed the build up to the end, which I hadn't seen coming, and lost track of time - just as I used to when reading a real book.


And so, I am a Kindle convert.


I feel ready for a good crime novel now so I'm off to browse the Kindle store for a few samples and see which grabs me enough to buy it. And the beauty for me of buying it online? It's Neil's card that's linked to the Amazon account so I buy and he pays.

Now, you can't say fairer than that, can you?

4 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

I knew her name but not her books so, you know me, I Googled & saw her website which had
http://cecelia-ahern.com/news/ps-over-a-million-readers-love-cecelia
CECELIA AHERN BECOMES THE YOUNGEST RECIPIENT OF A NIELSEN BOOK PLATINUM AWARD FOR HER BOOK: PS: I LOVE YOU

Today (Tuesday 22 September) Cecelia Ahern receives a Platinum Award for achieving over a million sales in the UK for her first novel, PS: I Love You and a Gold Award for 500,000 copies sold of her second novel, Where Rainbows End from HarperCollins CEO Victoria Barnsley. In doing so she joins an elite band of authors achieving this level of sales and follows J K Rowling and Dan Brown in receiving awards for the first and second books simultaneously

Brindy said...

Yes, she is a very popular author!

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

I am loving catching up on your new blog. The posts have been wonderful, learning so much more about you guys! enjoy your kindle. I have not converted yet! LL

Brindy said...

Hi LL - glad to see you have been able to add yourelf as a follower. I like having a blog I can write about anything on - I felt my Spain one should remain focused on our time in Spain.