Tuesday 22 February 2011

3 Day Weekends AREN'T long enough!

When I worked 5 days a week and had a normal 2 day weekend, I did what needed to be done and Monday's arrived at their appointed time.

Now I work 4 days a week and have Friday's off the weekends just don't seem long enough. I think it's because I now feel as if I have loads of time so I plan things ahead whereas I am normally a 'I'll see what I feel like doing and then do nothing' type of person.

Take this last weekend as an example.

Friday was not a brilliant day, weather wise, but it was dry so a friend and I took the dogs to Rufford Abbey for the day. Rufford has great walks, a large lake with lots of ducks and swans to feed left over toast from breakfast to. It has good woods for the dogs to enjoy and a great visitor centre and cafe.

My friend has been in hospital since Christmas, and although she is much better, she is still being cared for in hospital but she is able to have days out. We had a wonderful walk and even managed a Q&A session with a group of children who had so many questions about Brandy & Brinkley.

Finally, Brinkley decided he had been detained long enough by all these half- sized people and we made our escape. On arrival at the cafe/restaurant we met a couple with a ruby cavalier, a very sweet little dog - it's odd how nearly every cavalier we meet is so much smaller then our 2, we must have fed them too well when they were puppies.

I left our 2 outside with my friend and went in to get some lunch for us. When I got back there was some hillarity from the table behind her. Apparently she had wanted to impress me by having both the dogs sitting sweetly by her side when I got back. Now, this may not seem such a difficult task but you have to know B&B don't really do sit. She had even been tempting them with left-over duck-feeding-left-over toast but, although they had been eating the toast, they had not been doing the sitting bit. However, the couple at the table behind her also had a dog who, apparently, had been sitting perfectly every time she issued the command - ah bless!

I enjoyed a Saturday catching up with shopping, laundry and all those little jobs that need to be done because we had more plans on Sunday.

Sunday we finally got over to Holmfirth to meet up with friends we hadn't seen since we lived in Spain. They moved back a couple of months after us and it was brilliant to finally spend some time with them. The dogs came with us and they got to meet Rusty again, who was, it has to be said, our Brandy's first love - although feelings seemed to have mellowed, if Sunday is anything to judge things by.

We had a great day, a great meal and a great walk through the woods and it hopefully won't be as long before we see them again.

But then, suddenly, Monday was here again.

It seems the more I plan and the more I do - the quicker the weekend flies by.

So, roll on this weekend - lunch with a friend Friday, a few hours catching up with another friend Saturday and......oh, I don't have anything planned for Sunday yet......better go and see what I can arrange.

I just hope I have a few more weeks before they ask me to start working 5 days a week - I'm really enjoying my long weekends.

2 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

What an enjoyable post to read, not that all your posts aren't but this one was especially. LOVED the 'SIT' story, ha ha!

Travel & Dive Girl said...

The "sit" story is fantastic! I understand what you mean about long weekends - they are never long enough.