Monday 27 December 2010

Computers - a plus and a minus

My last laptop began to have serious problems with the display when we were still in Spain. The screen was often unreadable due to crazy lines all over it. It became totally unusable and Neil bought me a new one when we got back to the UK.

Since then the poorly laptop has remained stored away, waiting for a visit from my brother who was going to try and retrieve all my photos which I had stored on there.

This Christmas he's visited, and all my photos are now safely transferred onto this laptop and I have set myself a task for 2011. To sort them, file them, store them and not be at risk of losing them all again. I have hundreds and hundreds to go through, the downside of using a digital camera - they all download and I don't always delete the rubbish ones, or where I have taken several to get the best shot - I use the best shot as required but retain all the others as well - just incase!

And, the plus - the laptop is working perfectly when the battery is removed and used on mains power - a problem with Acer's apparently, battery problems have a strange effect on the computer! And so I have my large screen old laptop available to use again.

However, all this good news was balanced by the minus this Christmas - and all over a photo I tried to download to use on this blog. Along with the photo, I downloaded a virus. Suddenly there was lots of red warnings all over my screen and it took several hours to clean up my laptop, and I dread to think how long it would have taken if my brother had not been here to sort it for me.

I haven't had such a problem with a virus for about 3 years, but I do remember it would take me hours and hours trawling the internet looking for solutions and guidance.

And the really annoying thing is, I was downloading a photo I could so easily have taken myself!

A lesson to be learned!

6 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

What site was the virus related picture from? Did you make a note. As you well know I Google daily many times for a number of reasons including for adding to my blog but since installing Kaspersky Internet Security on all three computers we've had no problems unlike before. Around £22 for all three computers.
Think we've had this chat before but your security let in a virus so maybe time to rethink if it works adequately.

Brindy said...

No, I don't know what site I lifted it from and I don't want to go looking for it again, but bruv said my security wouldn't have picked it up because I accepted it so gave it permission to come in.

He's changed my security to Microsoft Security Essentials which he says will protect me.

First time in 3 years isn't too bad - just annoying when it happens.

Spanish Owner said...

I just wondered as when Chris looks at what has been trying to get into ours .. if it flashes we have had a threat but it has been stopped .. he writes website down then sometimes Googles in internet forums to learn more.

Ironically, just after my comment, I was Googling for 'smiley in bed' for my blog, I fancied some different ones & I saw someone's photobucket site with loads in that were ace & I'd not seen any of them before. When I right clicked to save one I was told Microsoft had to close down because of a problem so I thought awww!! I tried again & the same thing happened. Each time I tried to right click it went to my folder but message came on same as before.

I switched the netbook off completely then tried again but no joy, rather peeved as there were some superb animations I'd not seen before. Chris said I should stay well away. Guess you bro would advise same.

Brindy said...

If I have something that's trying to get in that my virus checker picks up I would probably make a note and check it, but this time I clicked to download the photo and the virus waas attached so I authorised it coming in. Fortunately, it's a virus my brother knew and he knew how to disable it as it was preventing all sorts of things from running including the clean-up program he had installed to get rid of it.

And yes, it does sound as if the site that had all the smiley's in is one to avoid.

Travel & Dive Girl said...

At least your photos were saved! My husband has 2 different back up systems for all of his photos.

Brindy said...

My brother has told me what external storage system I need to get to back up to, but I am waiting for the postal/delivery system to catch up from the delays caused by the snow before ordering it. I am still waiting for Glitter Barbie to arrive which should have been under the tree on Christmas morning for our Granddaughter - that's been on order for over 3 weeks now.