Tuesday 21 December 2010

It's official, I am ready for Christmas.

I was all geared up at the end of November for an organised Christmas. My cards were bought and written, my annual letter to distant relatives was written and my present list was prepared ready to go shopping.

Then it snowed, and snowed and snowed and the entire area ground to a halt. The post didn't get collected or delivered, shopping was only possible on foot so we could only carry basic groceries and gift shopping had to wait.

After a week of snow life started to move again, I was back at work but we were challenged with a 4 inch slab of ice everywhere.

After a few more days the sun came out, the thermometer finally climbed above zero and the ice finally cleared.

The I came down with a flu bug. It settled on my chest and triggered my asthma because I had forgotten to get my flu jab. I had barely enough energy to get through the day let alone go shopping.

And every day Christmas got closer. My well intentioned 'I'll get everything ready early' had sadly slipped away.

In the background Neil was getting bits towards the Christmas dinner. We talked Turkey one day and the next, we had a Turkey Crown in the freezer big enough to feed 8-11 people. I foresee lots of Turkey curry after Christmas, there are only 3 of us for dinner.

We talked Christmas cake and one appeared, and so it continued. Wrapping paper and shiny ribbon magically appeared searching for presents to be wrapped around.

And still Christmas got closer.

Then Saturday arrived. I felt energised. I felt in the mood to shop. And off I went. We live 5 minutes walk from town, so I left the car at home so as to have to battle for a parking space, not to have to sit in traffic queues and not to have to pay the premium parking fees that have been in place for the last month to take advantage of the Christmas shoppers.

Neil stayed at home so I could wander and browse without feeling his impatience rising. I had such fun. I got everything and, as I'd been clever and bought light-weight presents, I walked home. I didn't even have to wait for Neil to battle the traffic to come and pick me up.

Saturday night saw the tree up and lit, the presents wrapped and labelled and me chilling infront of the tv with a glass of wine, finally feeling that officially, I was ready for Christmas.

It means I can enjoy this week. I have no urgent errands to run, I do not have to battle with shoppers. We collect our fresh veg from the local Farm shop on Thursday and I finish work Thursday evening not to return until Jan 4th.

I cannot remember feeling so relaxed about Christmas for many years.

I feel smug!

1 comment:

Spanish Owner said...

'Chilling' is the right word there I guess.
;-)
I'm glad you're looking forward to Christmas.